April 8, 2008
Last night I finally made the rhubarb and berry crisp that I had been planning. The rhubarb stalks were a bit limp, but you really couldn't tell once everything cooked up. I used 3 stalks of rhubarb, cut into 3/4 inch pieces, mixed with all the rest of the strawberries, about 3 cups. I mixed them together with a tablespoon of flour and plopped them into my trusty ceramic pie pan. The topping was oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and fresh nutmeg. You mix all those dry ingredients with 3 Tbs butter until it's all mealy, then just pour it on top of the berries. We cooked it for almost an hour at 375 until it was very bubbly around the edges and brown on top.
This is when I realized my oversight. Usually I would have mixed sugar in with the berries too. I was afraid that the crisp would be way too tart. I had visions of Max and I sprinkling sugar on each bite. Amazingly, it all worked out. I guess the strawberries and the topping gave enough sweetness to the rhubarb.
Now that all the strawberries are gone, I can only count the days until the new crop arrives.