April 6, 2008

Mmmm... Rutabaga


I never ate rutabaga on purpose until the last few winters in Oregon when I tried to find local produce. Turns out it adds a delicious special something to a basic vegetable soup. Last night Max made a wonderful soup with homemade stock. We stockpile leek tops, parsley stems and other edible trimmings in the freezer until it's time to make soup again. (I don't suppose that's the origin of the word stockpile?)

The soup turned out great with all our market ingredients: potatoes, onions, carrots, kale, leeks, and of course the rutabagas. Homemade stock makes all the difference. Add a little bread and it makes a great meal.

This morning we used up some of last year's frozen strawberry mash on waffles with Nancy's yogurt. I was too lazy to make jam that summer, so I just smushed the berries up with a little sugar and froze them in jam jars. The flavor is still very summery.

No comments: